This is a super simple recipe I’ve adopted from Martha Stewart’s Cranberry Pistachio Biscotti. The best thing is that you can totally make it by hand without bring out mixer and cleanup the beater. Just gather the following ingredients and starting baking this great and simple holiday treats!
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 3 tablespoon of orange juice
- zest of one whole orange
- 3 cups of AP flour
- 2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 2 oz (4 tablespoon) of unsalted butter (soften in room temperature)
- 1 cup of sugar
- 3 large eggs + 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon of almond extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 cup of lightly roasted whole almond
- Place cranberries in a small add zest of an orange and 3 tablespoon of orange juice.
- Sift together flour with salt & baking powder and piece of wax paper and set aside
- In a large bowl, use a spatula soften up the butter and gradually mix in sugar. Keep mixing until the butter sugar mixture become light and fluffy
- Add orange juice , almond extract & vanilla extract to sugar & butter mixture. Mix until well blended.
- Lightly beat 2 eggs and gradually add into the sugar & butter mixture. Keep mixing until all incorporated.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Add in the cranberries first, mix until even distributed.
- Then put all the flour and toasted almond to egg batter. Mix until all well incorporated (but don’t over mix it)
- Divide this rather sticky dough into two even portion. Pretty heavily flour the working surface and shape the 1/2 of the dough into long log 16” x 2” long. Repeat this for remaining half
- Place two logs on baking sheets line with parchment paper. Make sure there is at least 3” room between the two log because they do expand during the baking
- Brush the log with slightly beaten egg and sprinkle with sugar
- Bake for 25 minutes (remember to rotate the baking sheet to ensure even baking half way)
- Transfer the parchment paper and cookie log into cooling rack and let it cool down for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Reduce oven to 300F
- Use serrated knife to cut logs crosswise on the diagonal into 1/2 inches thick slices. Arrange cut side and on baking sheet and put back in oven for another 30 minutes of baking.
I used whole unsalted almond with skin on. I have toasted the almond for 8 minutes in 350F oven to enhance almond favour. Remember these cookies keeps very well and looks very pretty after dipping or light drizzle of chocolate. This make really perfect gift from home kitchen.